If you are looking for a laser sailboat for sale you need to take into consideration the benefits of buying used over new. This is especially true if you are new to sailing and are not sure how seriously you intend to plunge into the sport.
A second-hand laser dinghy for sale may be all you will need in order to enjoy sailing. However, as is the case when purchasing anything used, you will need to know what to look for when examining the condition of the laser boat for sale you are considering purchasing.
Here are a few things to consider before you start your search for a laser dinghy…
Things To Consider When Buying A Laser Dinghy
The serial number of the boat can unlock a lot of information for you. This includes the actual age of the boat (see a list of hull/sail numbers and the age of the dinghy here). While older boats in good condition can still outperform newer ones that have had a lot of use, knowing the age can help with assessing the overall condition.
For example, you will want to take a close look at the deck and hull. The typical wear and tear signs you will find should roughly match how old the boat is. That is to say, an older boat should show slightly more wear than a boat a few years younger and not the other way around. If it doesn’t, then this may give you an indication of how it was looked after or how much use it has actually had.
Shopping around for a laser sailboat for sale is much like buying a used car. There are going to be many variables to factor into the equation but ultimately you are looking for a used item in good enough condition that you won’t be spending a lot on upkeep and repairs. You are also trying to find the right laser dinghy for sale whereby it is good value for what you end up spending on it.
For a comprehensive list of things to check when looking for a laser sailboat for sale, click here.
But where should you look in order to find a good quality second-hand laser boat for sale at an affordable price?
Common Places To Look For a Used Laser Dinghy For Sale
There are several excellent places you can look at when you want to buy a second-hand Laser sailboat. As well as asking around (especially down at your local club before or after a race), some other common places to look for a used Lasers dinghy for sale include:
- eBay – doesn’t always have many options for dinghies, but you may want to set up an alert anyway. Sometimes has some accessories at good prices.
- Newspaper classifieds – can be a good place to find deals near your home.
- Various Laser Forums – just search ‘laser forums’ as most have online classified sections, with https://sailingforums.com/ worth visiting.
- Laser dealers/shops – second-hand boats are often used for trade-ins on newer ones and boat shop owners will often know someone with something for sale.
- Notice boards at Sailing Clubs – members upgrading/downsizing will often sell their older boats and post them on notice boards. Visit our Laser Sailing Club Directory to see if there is a club near you… click here (if you have a laser sailing club near you that is not listed, let us know!).
- Various websites – there are many great websites where you can find laser dinghies for sale. See some examples in specific countries below…
In addition to these potential sources, there are many country-specific websites where you will be able to locate used laser sailboat listings. They include the following:
In the United States:
In the United Kingdom:
Finding the right used laser sailboat is not difficult once you have determined if you are shopping for a new or used dinghy, as there are many different sources available at your fingertips. Sure, you might have to look at a few before you find the right dinghy that matches your exact requirements, but it’s checking out a few is invaluable as you will learn a lot in the process. You will learn heaps from doing your own research and talking to owners of laser dinghies for sale.
What’s Your Tip For The Best Place To Find a Laser Sailboat For Sale?
Have you got any other tips and places to check out when looking for a used laser sailboat for sale?