If you are looking for a laser sailboat for sale you need to take into consideration the benefits of buying used over new. This is especially true if you are new to sailing and are not sure how seriously you intend to plunge into the sport. A second-hand laser dinghy for sale may be all you will need in order to enjoy sailing. However, as is the case when purchasing anything used, you will need to know what to look for when examining the condition of the laser boat for sale you are considering purchasing.
The serial number of the boat can unlock a lot of information for you. This includes the actual age of the boat (see a list of hull/sail numbers and age of the dinghy here). While older boats in good condition can still outperform newer ones that have had a lot of use, knowing the age can help with assessing the overall condition. For example, you will want to take a close look at the deck and hull. The typical wear and tear signs you will find should roughly match how old the boat is. That is to say, an older boat should show slightly more wear than a boat a few years younger and not the other way around. If it doesn’t, then this may give you an indication of how it was looked after or how much use it has actually had.
Shopping around for a laser sailboat for sale is much like buying a used car. There are going to be many variables to factor into the equation but ultimately you are looking for a used item in good enough condition that you won’t be spending a lot on upkeep and repairs. You are also trying to find the right laser dinghy for sale where there is value for what you end up spending on it. But where should you look in order to find a good quality second-hand laser boat for sale at an affordable price?
There are several excellent places you can look at when you want to buy a second-hand Laser sailboat. As well as asking around (especially down at your local club before or after a race), some other common places to look for a used Lasers dinghy for sale include –
- eBay – doesn’t always have many options for dinghies, but you may want to set up an alert anyway. Sometimes has some accessories at good prices
- Trading Post/newspaper classified – can be a good place to find deals near your home
- Various Laser Forums – just search ‘laser forums’ as most have online classified sections, with http://sailingforums.com/ worth visiting
- Laser dealers/shops – second-hand boats are often used for trade-ins on newer ones and boat shop owners will often know someone with something for sale
- Notice boards at Sailing Clubs – members upgrading/downsizing will often sell their older boats an post them on notice boards
In addition to these potential sources, there are many country-specific websites where you will be able to locate used laser sailboat listings. They include the following:
In the United States:
In the United Kingdom:
Finding the right used laser sailboat is not difficult once you have determined if you are shopping for new or used as there are many different sources available at your fingertips.
Have you got any other tips and places to check out when looking for a used laser sailboat for sale?